Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Remains of Shakespeare's Curtain Theatre found


Curtain Theatre Remains Found: Site Of Shakespeare's Performances Uncovered By Archaeologists


When I heard this news today, I gasped with excitement!

I heard the lead archeologist discussing the find on the BBC this morning, and was so relieved to hear that the developers intend to preserve the findings.

Shakespeare's company, The Lord Chamberlain's Men, spent two years in residency at The Curtain, from 1597-1599. It's not mentioned in this article, but the archeological findings confirm that The Curtain was comparable in size to The Rose and The Theatre, which may further substantiate the claims made by scholars that the replica of Shakespeare's Globe is indeed too large. Professor Peter Thomson (a brilliant Shakespearean who taught me so much, and whose wisdom I continue to carry with me) is among those who believe this to be true. He explores this idea in "The New Globe: Monument or Portent?" (On Actors and Acting, University of Exeter Press, 2000).

At any rate, this is very exciting news. I'm thrilled to share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment